Marriage License Information



To receive a marriage license:

  • Applicants must appear together and in person at Probate Court between the hours of 8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M., Closed during lunch from 12:00 P.M. to 12:30 P.M., Monday through Friday, to complete an application. Please arrive a half hour before we are closing to allow time to issue the license.
  • Ohio residents must obtain their license in the county of their residence. At least one of the applicants must be a resident of Washington County and the marriage must be performed in the State of Ohio.
  • Out of state residents must obtain their license in the Ohio County where the marriage ceremony will be performed. If both applicants are from out of state but wish to be married in Washington County, they must obtain their license in Washington County.
  • Each applicant will be required to fill out an application. If you would like to do this before coming into the court please print and complete the attached Marriage Application Form (PDF).
  • Valid identification is required for each applicant: Driver’s license or State issued I.D.
  • Both applicants must bring their social security cards.
  • If either applicant has been previously married and divorced, a file-stamped copy or certified copy of the final order granting the divorce or dissolution is required for the most recent divorce for each applicant.
  • Cost of the license is $55.00 (cash only). Checks or credit/debit cards are not accepted.
  • License may be used the same day issued. It must be used within 60 days.
  • No blood test or birth certificates are required.
  • Marrying officials must be licensed with Ohio Secretary of State. Find more information on locals who can perform marriages (PDF).


To receive a marriage license:

  • No one under 17 years of age may get married in Ohio.
  • If only one person is 17 years old, the other cannot be more than 4 years older.
  • All 17 year old applicants desiring to get married must file an application in Juvenile Court to get the Court’s consent to the marriage and wait 14 days after the Juvenile Court files its consent to apply for a marriage license in the Probate Court.
  • After waiting 14 days, the applicants must then apply in the Probate Court for a marriage License and all other information set forth above for Adults is applicable here as well.
  • Both applicants must obtain a letter from a minister, licensed counselor or psychologist that they have obtained marriage counseling.

The juvenile marriage process will start in the Washington County Juvenile Court. You can contact them at  (740) 373-6623 Ext. 2422. Click here for the Instructions and documents required.

More Information

For additional information call (740) 373-6623 Ext. 2413.