Creating Healthy Communities
If your community group, school, worksite, or church would like to join the Coalition or has an idea to create healthier communities in Washington County, please email Sherry Ellem or call 740-374-2782, ext. 3342. We love to hear new ideas and may be able to assist in turning your idea into action!
Vision (soon to be updated!)
Making the Healthy Choice the Easy Choice
Mission (soon to be updated!)
Creating Healthy Communities (CHC) is committed to preventing and reducing chronic disease statewide. Through cross-sector collaboration, we are activating communities to improve access to and affordability of healthy food and increase opportunities for physical activity where Ohioans live, work, and play. By implementing sustainable evidence-based strategies, CHC is creating a culture of health.
Health equity is achieved when all people in a community have access to affordable, inclusive, and quality infrastructure and services that, despite historical and contemporary injustices, allows them to reach their full health potential.
- Creating Healthy Communities (CHC) invests in policies, projects, places, and people to create equitable, inclusive opportunities for healthy eating and active living.
- Everyone involved in Creating Healthy Communities (CHC) prepares to engage in the work by strengthening self-awareness and empathy.
- Community members experiencing health inequities or social marginalization partner with Creating Healthy Communities (CHC) to amplify their collective power and lead solutions for their community.
- Organizations partner with Creating Healthy Communities (CHC) to align with and direct resources toward community members’ vision and priorities.
- Creating Healthy Communities (CHC) Coordinators approach their relationships and the work with humility, transparency, dependability, and respect for others.
- Thursday, August 18, 2022, a.m. Virtual 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, November 17, 2022, In-Person 8:30 a.m. Virtual 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, February 16, 2023, In-Person 8:30 a.m. Virtual 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 18, 2023, 2023 In-Person 8:30 a.m. Virtual 1:30 p.m.
Sherry Ellem, Creating Healthy Communities Program Manager
Follow Washington County Creating Healthy Communities on Facebook.
Creating Healthy Communities Minutes
Washington County Creating Healthy Communities 2022 Projects
- City of Marietta priority community will increase the number of adults/youth who have access to places for physical activity, as evidenced by an increase in one Pedestrian Infrastructure.
- Fort Frye School District priority community will increase the number of adults/youth who have access to places for physical activity, as evidenced by the implementation of Beverly's Active Transportation Plan.
- Washington County priority community will increase access to healthy food options, as evidenced by an increase in one Farmers Market.
Partners, Links Affiliates
- Armory Square Marietta
- AVI Foodsystems
- Belpre Area Ministries
- Belpre Area Multi-Use Trail Committee
- Belpre City Schools
- Beverly-Waterford Development & Revitalization
- Brick Insurance Group
- Broughton Foundation
- Buckeye Hills Regional Council
- City of Belpre
- City of Marietta
- Clutch MOV
- Community Food Initiatives
- Cox Family Pharmacy
- CPC Ink
- Decatur Community Association
- Devola Multi-Use Trail
- Ely Chapman
- Fort Frye Wellness
- Greater Marietta Community Food Pantry
- House of Hope
- Kiwanis Club of Marietta
- Marietta Adventure Company
- Marietta/Belpre Health Department
- Marietta High School
- Marietta Family YMCA
- Maven Lane, LLC
- Muskingum Township
- Ohio Department of Health
- OSU Extension, Washington County
- O’Neill Center
- Proactive Health Solutions, LLC
- Retired Senior Volunteer Program of Washington County
- The Right Path for Washington County
- River Valley Mountain Bike Association
- University of Charleston School of Pharmacy
- Sisters Health Foundation
- Village of Beverly
- Village of Lowell
- Village of Matamoras
- Western Washington County Seniors
- Washington County Behavioral Health Board
- Washington County Board of Developmental Disabilities
- Washington County Career Center
- Washington County Family and Children First
- Washington County Harvest of Hope
- Washington County Health Department
- Washington County Public Library