How do I get a road opened, relocated, widened, or vacated?
Petitions are required, which must have a legal description. The petition is filed with the County Commissioners. A viewing of the proposed road change is held followed by a formal public hearing. Establishing a road required certain criteria must be met such as how many residences are located along the road. It is not the Township Trustee’s, County Commissioner’s, or County Engineer’s function to build or open roads. Their responsibility is primarily to maintain roads. You will likely be asked to fund all or part of the requested construction. Contact the County Engineer’s Office at (740) 376-7430 for more information.

Show All Answers

1. Where do I get a map of my property?
2. Are there any historical property maps available?
3. Where do I find information on road closings?
4. I would like to transfer my property. Do I need to have my property surveyed first?
5. Do I need a permit to connect a new or widen an existing driveway to a public road?
6. How do I get a road opened, relocated, widened, or vacated?
7. What constitutes a subdivision?
8. Why is my road the last to be snow plowed?
9. Why hasn’t my road been paved?
10. How close can I build a fence to the road?
11. How do I get a house number?
12. Do I need approval for a septic tank before I can subdivide a property or purchase a newly created lot(s)?
13. Where do I call for property development information?